How to export the contour plots for post visualization?

Is it possible to export the contour plots for post visualization in any other software like SURFER (by Golden software) etc. ??

I tried exporting as DXF file and later converting to GRID data file for Surfer, but the contours looks totally different.

Can anyone help on this?

Thanks

I assume you want to plot some calculated (surface?) displacement etc. with SURFER?
You could write a simple FISH function which writes the position and displacement of each gridpoint on the surface of your model and then simply “grid” this text file with SURFER.

If you want to do something else, please specify more.

Hello Markus,

Thanks for your response.
Yes, I am trying to regenerate/replot the contour plot (as attached) in SURFER.

I want to try both in 2D and 3D.
2D plane for a cross-section and 3D for a tunnel surface region.

Mainly, I want to “export the joint data along with displacements of gridpoint” to plot in SURFER.

This will simply replicate the 3DEC 5.2v plot as attached. For this I would need X Y Z positions and respective displacement values.

Could it be done directly? I tried using export functions in 3DEC 5.2v hovering over the contour plots as DXF, VRML, etc. But nothing worked.

I can write a fish function, to extract the X Y Z positions and grid displacements. But, how about joints?

Can you please float an example to extract zone data and the joints together, to regenerate together overlapped one over the other?

Many thanks.

Sorry for having to ask again: Your example shows the displacements that are determined by the block (gridpoint) displacements and which probably also know how to export with FISH (gp_pos() etc.). So my guess is, that you want to export the contact planes, so that you can “see” your “cuts” in SURFER? If that is your problem, you should be able to export the plot item JOINTS - LOCATIONS as dxf. Other than that, I’m afraid I still don’t get the problem, sorry. :frowning:

Also, I’m not sure, whether SURFER is the right tool for your needs. As far as I know, SURFER renders 2D data (displacements etc.) on surfaces, which you can then also show as deformed 3D surfaces. But afaik it doesn’t render “true” volumetric data. So maybe Paraview would be an alternative.

Hi, Markus.
Thanks for your response again.
Am sorry, I made it complex.
I simply want to regenerate the displacement contour plots in SURFER, for better representation of contour lines, the grid labels (axes) and better picture quality.

For that purpose I have tried to write the following code: to extract the grid point displacements.

restore XYZ.3dsav
hide ; to hide the entire model
seek range y 0 1 ; to unhide a thin section of the model which is of 1m thickness
set logfile GPDISP_xyz1.txt
set log on
list gridpoint displacement
set log off
ret

Then I could get the data log-file with X Y Z positions of GP’s and their respective displacements.

When I tried to plot the same in SURFER. It looked something this way.

Instead it should have looked this way, as produced in 3DEC.

possibly due to the overlap of grid point data!? I am not sure.

Can we use a cut plane to extract the grid data and their respective displacements similar to the above code?

Any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Vijay

As I said, using SURFER would only make sense on a cross-section. By giving it all gridpoint displacements you have calculated some kind of average displacement field over your whole model.

I’m not aware of any method to directly export data of cut planes, but again you could export via FISH and select only gridpoints in a certain position range. In any case, the SURFER image will probably never really look like your 3DEC output, since SURFER will typically try to plot a smooth, continuous displacement field, whereas your 3DEC model and its displacements are discontinuous. Again, I don’t think Surfer is the right tool here, but since I don’t know, why you want to basically recreate the same plot in a different software, it is hard to be of any help.