Partial density scaling : HOW TO CHOOSE Mscale?

Hello, I am working on a dynamic loading problem in 3DEC. I have a query on partial density scaling.

what factors are considered while selecting the Mscale value?
In an example case, it was mentioned that the study took into account a value of 5% (i.e. value of added mass over the real mass). Why was this value chosen?
What if I choose between 10% and 20% more? How does it impact the outcome? And what significance does this value serve in real engineering?

Also, Is there any other purpose besides manipulating computation time?

I’d appreciate some clarification on this.
Thanks.
-V

There is no purpose other than to speed up calculation time. I don’t have any good advice here except to try different values and see how it changes the recorded waves. If you make the value too high, the waves will be distorted. You will have to decide how to balance this “error” with the speed up that you get.

Sure. Thanks for the clarification.
-Vijay

Vijay
In large models, formation of small blocks/zones is inevitable. For quasistatic problems it is not an issue. However for dynamic problems they timestep is dictated by only small blocks/zones. Hence to improve the solution time, partial density scaling is used. This is the only purpose of using partial density scaling.

Thanks, Dr. Jay for your quick response.