Change geometry into block

1.After importing the 3D model by using the dxf format, I want to cut the joints. However, the program doesn’t work because the model is a geometry. Is there anyone can help me how to cut the joint or change the model from geometry into block for not using the ‘block generate’ command?
2.Another question is that is the joints and voronoi can be generated together in the same model?

1 Like

You can generate tet blocks within a closed volume geometry using the block generate from-geometry command. Alternatively, if as per your second question you’re looking to generate voronoi blocks you can use the block generate voronoi command, and it will either use the current geometry or you can define the set. Once your blocks are generated you will be able to start cutting your joints.

More details on both of the above commands here.

1 Like

I know. However, after I using the block generate voronoi , I cut the block by block cut and then the program can’t identify which the discontinuous planes are from voronoi or joint. The program will give the same ID for these discontinuous planes, which makes me hard to give the contact properties. What should I do?

When using the block cut command you can set the ID of the faces and contacts created with that cut using the “jointset-id” parameter (see here). Then when you’re assigning contact properties, both the block contact jmodel and the block contact property commands will accept a joint-set as the “range” parameter (see here).

It might also be useful to set the minimum ID assigned to block cuts. I quite often set block cut set minimum-id x at the start of a model.

I just tried this with a 5 m cube, generated both tets and voronois and then cut them, and it does appear to produce slightly different behaviour.

Tet blocks

model new
block cut set minimum-id 5
geometry import 'test_geometry.stl'
block generate from-geometry

block cut joint-set dip 0 dip-direction 360 spacing 1 ...
                number 4 origin 0 0 2 jointset-id 10

Voronoi blocks

model new
block cut set minimum-id 5
geometry import 'test_geometry.stl'
block generate voronoi

block cut joint-set dip 0 dip-direction 360 spacing 1 ...
                number 4 origin 0 0 2 jointset-id 10

@jhazzard one for your wisdom, perhaps?

1 Like

Looks like a bug. I’ll check it out.

1 Like

Ok, thank you so much!

This is fixed and the fix will be in the next update.

1 Like

Ok!Thank you for your help!

hello, I once used block generate voronoi command, but warnings appeared and the process interrupted by the program, geometry is the outline of layer with excavation of a circle tunnel, if it was because the excavation made the outline of layer a concave geometry, and how to generate voronoi in such a geometry. I tried cutting tunnel after generating voronoi of the whole layer without excavation, but bl geo cut command would result in warnings about atol.